CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Cookie Contest at the Office!

Every so often our department decides we need some team building, moral boosting time.  In October we do a Chili Cook-Off, it's not just chili they also judge cornbread, and some sort of dessert.  This year it was cookies.  A few weeks before the contest I discovered the new fall M&M White Chocolate Candy Corn!!!  I fell in love!  They were really good but I thought they would be even better in a cookie like the your typical white chocolate macadamia nut cookie.  I don't eat nuts in my food so I have one I have to eat around the nuts.  So I took to Google to find a good recipe for a white chocolate chip macadamia nut cookie so I could minus the white chocolate chips and macadamia nuts and add the White Chocolate Candy Corn M&M's.

This is where I ended up My Wooden Spoon.  Here is the link to the recipe http://mywoodenspoon.com/the-best-soft-and-chewy-white-chocolate-macadamia-nut-cookies-ever/
it says it is the best soft and chewy cookie and I can vouch it is!  And it makes a ton of cookies so I brought some into work.

I wasn't planning to enter the contest, I can't remember why but everyone kept hounding me so I gave it.  I decided to make the White Chocolate Candy Corn M&M cookies and I thought I should also make a chocolate cookie of some kind.  So I took to Internet again and started looking through the blogs I follow until I ended up on Add a Pinch and found a recipe for a Mocha Chocolate Chip Cookie.  Here it is: http://addapinch.com/cooking/2011/10/19/mocha-chocolate-chip-cookies-recipe/

I started the evening with this cookie and I completely hosed it up!
First the recipe calls for 1 cup brown sugar, instead of grabbing the 1/2 cup measuring cup, I grabbed the 1/3 cup used that twice so I only added 2/3 brown sugar.  It calls for 1 tablespoon vanilla, I grabbed the 1/2 teaspoon and added only 1 teaspoon, once I realized what I had done it added another 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla but that still didn't make a table spoon.  And my favorite it calls for 3/4 teaspoon of baking soda, I added baking powder!  I realized all of this as I was getting ready to put the first batch on the baking stone to put in the oven.  I freaked out!  My brother-in-law was going to bring me some more brown sugar because I couldn't find the other bag I bought, when he arrived the first batch of screwed up cookies came out of the oven.  I used him as a guinea pig and had him try one before I baked anymore.  He thought they were great, they didn't spread much and had a brownie like consistency and were sweet but not too sweet.  Since he liked them I want ahead and baked the rest.  After discovering all my mistakes in the first recipe I followed the second one a little closer. 

At the contest each cookie got a number and a bag to collect the votes in.  I was beat out for 1st place by the department heads daughter who also had a baby and they were saying he helped make the cookies, I think it was a ploy to win the cute vote but that's ok I took 2nd for the Mocha and 3rd for the White Chocolate Candy Corn M&M.  The trophy's were spatulas!


Bye Y'all!

0 comments:

Post a Comment